Submitting Material to the AAG Newsletter
- Articles should be engaging and clearly written for geographers from many backgrounds, not narrowly for individual subfield specialties, and should make relevant geographic concepts explicit.
- The editors do not heavily edit contributed material; therefore, they should be ready for publication by the time they are submitted.
- Articles may be returned for revisions or rejected at the discretion of the editorial team.
- Please submit articles one month prior to publication.
- All news items and letters should be sent in Word format to the Managing Editor, Emily Fekete.
Types of Articles
- Announcements. Brief notices about new appointments, grants, awards, etc. Links to external content may be included at the discretion of the editorial team. Length should be 100 to 400 words.
- Feature Articles. Typically a human interest story, feature articles tend to focus on a specific individual, event, or issue. Feature articles may be 250 to 2,500 words long.
- Necrologies. We accept original memorials, tributes, and obituaries. We are unable to reprint published obituaries without permission from the source publication. Please include a photo when possible. Necrologies may be 250 to 2,500 words long.
- Op-Eds. The AAG invites brief commentary highlighting the contributions of geographical analysis to the understanding of important public issues and events. Submissions are encouraged from across the full breadth of the discipline. These pieces reflect opinions of contributing AAG members and do not represent an official AAG position on any issue. Op-ed pieces must be consistent with the AAG ethics policy. Submissions generally should be up to 1,000 words long.
Photographs with captions are welcome. The author should have permission to use the photos. Include any necessary acknowledgments. Photo resolutions should be 300 DPI to allow for cropping and sizing.