Undergraduate Student Activities and Resources at the 2017 Annual Meeting in Boston
The 2017 Annual Meeting is the first since the establishment of the new Undergraduate Student Affinity Group and over 400 undergraduates have already registered to attend! At the Annual Meeting, students are encouraged to network with their peers and colleagues, expand their involvement in and understanding of the discipline of geography, and learn skills to build their careers. To celebrate and engage this important part of the AAG community, there will be events, activities, and resources geared for undergraduate students in attendance in Boston.
• Newcomers’ Guide to the Meeting: Is it your first time attending an Annual Meeting? Check out this guide for tips and tricks to navigating the largest geography conference in the world.
• Suggested Itinerary for Students: Overwhelmed by the thousands of presentations and unsure where to start planning your day? Get started with the suggested itinerary for students, available under “Essentials” in the AAG Mobile app.
• AAG Snapshot Talk on Student Membership: As part of the new AAG Snapshots series at the Annual Meeting, AAG staff will be giving brief informational talks in the AAG Communications Center, including the topic “Make the Most of your Student Membership,” presented on Wed., April 5th at 10 a.m. and Friday, April 7, at 3:20 p.m.
• Scavenger Hunt for Undergrads: Looking for a fun way to explore the Annual Meeting? Tackle our Photo Scavenger Hunt designed for undergraduate attendees to help discover different aspects of the meeting. View and download the “Undergrad Photo Scavenger Hunt” PDF under “Essentials” in the AAG Mobile app. The first two undergraduate students to show their completed photos and checklist to AAG Staff at the AAG Booth will get $20 credit to spend at the AAG Booth (located near registration, 2nd floor of the Hynes Convention Center).
• Undergrad Meetup Area at the International Reception: Music, refreshments, and catching up with colleagues new and old are all features of the International Reception. Find the Undergrad Student Meetup area to connect with fellow undergraduates, entire a raffle for an AAG Swag Pack, learn more about the new Undergraduate Student Affinity Group, and add to our graffiti wall by drawing the logo, mascot, or name of your university! The International Reception takes place Friday, April 7, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Ballroom B, on the third level of the Hynes Convention Center. Don’t miss it!
• Undergraduate Student Affinity Group Business Meeting – Want to help steer the direction of the new Undergraduate Student Affinity Group? Want to build leadership experience and add service activities to your resume? Attend the 1st USAG business meeting and consider running for a position on the board! The USAG Business Meeting is on Thursday, April 6th, from 8:10 to 9:10pm in the Vineyard Room on the 4th Floor of the Marriott.
• AAG Jobs & Careers Center and the AAG Careers in Geography Fair: Looking for career mentoring, career resources, workshops to improve your skills, or even a chance to speak with potential employers? Be sure to check out the numerous sessions and workshops at the Jobs & Careers Center as well as the employers you can speak to on site at the AAG Careers in Geography Fair. Both will be located on the Second Level of the Hynes Convention Center, in and around Rooms 203, 204, and 205.
• World Geography Bowl – Attend and cheer on fellow students competing in this annual event! The bowl takes place on Saturday, April 8, from 7:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. in Rooms 101-105 on the Plaza Level of the Hynes Convention Center.
• Geographers March for Science — Sign the Banner: The AAG has partnered with the March for Science. In addition to supporting the march in many ways, the AAG also will have a large banner that will be carried at the March for Science event in Washington, D.C. on Earth Day, April 22. The banner will be in Boston during the Annual Meeting at the AAG Communications Center (near registration) for any attendees who would like to sign their name on the banner to indicate their support. Undergraduates represent the future of geography; we welcome your important signatures to the banner!
In addition to the official meeting hashtag, #AAG2017, consider also using #AAGUndergrads to interact with other undergraduates in attendance and to build your peer and professional network via social media.
Undergraduate students can join the AAG for just $38 per year and receive a range of member benefits including online access to scholarly journals and publications, exclusive access to the Jobs in Geography listings, and reduced rates for Annual Meeting and other event registration. Joining the Undergraduate Student Affinity Group only costs an additional $1 per year. Check out the USAG website and USAG Twitter account for more information. For questions, contact cluebbering [at] aag [dot] org.