New AAG Position Opening: Editorial Associate
The Association of American Geographers (AAG) has an immediate opening for the position of Editorial Associate, to be located at the AAG’s central office in Washington, DC. In collaboration with the Managing Editor and the Production Editor, the Editorial Associate will contribute to the day-to-day operations of the AAG’s four scholarly journals: Annals of the Association of American Geographers, The Professional Geographer, The AAG Review of Books, and GeoHumanities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with processing new submissions and managing the peer review process.
- Prepare accepted articles for transmission to publisher via the online manuscript tracking system.
- Review galley pages for style and format errors, and incorporate edits from authors and journal editors
- Ensure the journals adhere to all publishing deadlines and page budgets.
- Coordinate between journal editors, AAG communications staff, and the publisher on marketing for the journals.
- Maintain journal pages on the Association’s website using a Content Management System (CMS).
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English, Geography, or a related discipline is preferred.
- One to two years related work experience required.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and follow-through capabilities; attention to detail is essential.
- Knowledge of Chicago Style required.
- Must have ability to work independently, handle and prioritize several tasks at once.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office programs and Adobe Acrobat required; experience with Adobe CS a plus.
- Familiarity with an online manuscript submission system (ScholarOne Manuscript Central) a plus.
The AAG is an equal opportunity employer and offers a highly competitive salary and benefits package, and an excellent collegial working environment. Salary is commensurate with expertise and experience. The AAG is located in the heart of Washington, DC, near Dupont Circle.
To Apply: Please send a letter of application, resume, and contact information for two references via email to: Jenny Lunn at jlunn [at] aag [dot] org.