Call for Abstracts: Special Issue of ‘Annals’ on “Race, Nature, and the Environment”
Annals of the American Association of Geographers
Special Issue 2023
Call for Abstracts
The Annals of the American Association of Geographers is seeking contributions for a Special Issue on “Race, Nature, and the Environment”.
The 2023 Special Issue of the Annals invites new and emerging geographic scholarship situated at the crossroads of Race, Nature, and the Environment. In seeking contributions from across the discipline, we welcome submissions that advance critical geographic thinking about race and the environment from diverse perspectives and locations; that utilize a broad array of geographic data, theories, and methods; and that cultivate geographic insights that cut across time, place, and space.
Possible topics of submissions could include, but are not limited to:
- Political ecology, race/racialization, settler colonialism, and the environment
- Environmental (in)justice and geography
- Indigeneity, sovereignty, decolonization, and the land and/or environment
- Racial capitalism, financialization of nature, the socioecological fix, urban natures
- Global capital, uneven geographical development, and racialization/anti-Blackness
- White power and/or white supremacy, nature, and the environment
- Climate change and racial justice
- Empire, nature, race, (de)coloniality
- Marronage, unruly environments, landscape and race, spatial autonomy
- Extractive industries, fossil fuels, and race/ethnicity
- Food geographies and race; food-water-energy nexus
- Unfree environments and structural violence; plantation pasts and futures
- Disease ecologies; environmental health and race
- The state, racial liberalism, and environmental racism
- Critical physical geography and race
- Digital environments; science, technology, and racialized natures
- Feminist, queer, and critical approaches to race, nature, and the environment
- Nature, public and national parks, conservation, race
- Activism and mobilization vis-a-vis nature, natural resources, and/or the environment
- Abolition ecologies
- Social reproduction, race, and environmental infrastructures
- Afrofuturism, new spatial orders, worlding, liveable environments and just futures
Abstracts of no more than 250 words should be submitted by e-mail to Jennifer Cassidento (jcassidento [at] aag [dot] org) by March 31, 2021. The Editor (Katie Meehan) will consider all abstracts and then invite a selection to submit full papers for peer review by June 1, 2021.
Papers will have a target maximum length of 5,000 words (including abstract, main text, references, tables, figure captions, etc.). First draft of papers will be due (via ScholarOne) by December 1, 2021 and final papers will be due by October 1, 2022 for publication in 2023.
For questions about this Special Issue, please contact the Annals Editor, Katie Meehan (katie [dot] meehan [at] kcl [dot] ac [dot] uk). For questions about the abstract submission process, please contact the Managing Editor, Jennifer Cassidento (jcassidento [at] aag [dot] org).